Great trip, here are the highlights:
- Friday Morning: Oddball side stop on the way up at Georgia’s Stonhenge.
- Friday Mid-day: Lunch at Zanzos in Clarksville, GA. Great Italian food in an unexpected place.
- Friday Night: 2 clean runs through the gap, out and back. First time that has happened in 3 or 4 years and if we had gone home immediately afterwards the trip would have been worth it.
- Saturday Early Morning: 2 nearly clean runs. About 8 miles out of a possible 11 before being temporarily slowed for some motorcycles. Nearly similar result for the trip back.
- Saturday Mid-Day: Carnitas at No Way Jose’s in Gatlingburg, TN.
- Saturday Afternoon: Coming back to Robbinsville through the gap, this time with a little more traffic, but sometimes it takes a slower drive through to appreciate the sights outside the yellow lines…
- Saturday Evening: A Cherohala Skyway scenic overlook with the slowly setting sun as a backdrop on the way to dinner in Townsend, TN.
- Saturday Night: That same Cherohala Skyway scenic overlook with the field of stars spread across the night sky with a background of the milky way overhead on the way back.
- Sunday Morning: A nice lonely drive on the normally crowded Hwy 19/74 through the Nantahala Gorge on newly resurfaced asphalt.
- Sunday Mid-day: A meatloaf sandwich at Cracker Barrel.
- Sunday Afternoon: Home unscathed except for the layer of dirt, brake dust and insects on the car.
Tomorrow, the lowlights…
Comet Gestation Counter: 47 days